When you used the AI games this week, such as Magic Sketch or AI Duet, how did you find the process of having your work completed by an algorithm? Did it feel true to your intention? Were you happy with the results?

Because I don’t have a keyboard, so I tried Magic Sketch. I didn’t particularly understand the significance of this program and the way it would be used. When I tried several patterns of drawing, it added a few quick strokes to my original drawing, but none of them was the result I wanted. The AI also didn’t draw as well as I expected. I haven’t figured out when I’ll be using this site yet.

Drawn by Magic Sketch

Have you used Duolingo? Do you think that their approach to AI will ultimately lead to better learning? What do you think of the author’s use of the word ‘humanize’ to describe the application of AI to their software? Do you think the fact that the training data used is largely from English language learners will impact the user experience for other languages?

I used to use Duolingo to learn Korean. In some ways, I think it has helped me in my language learning. I practiced a lot of basic stuff on it and did many exercises. But I don’t have the confidence to fully rely on this app to learn a language well. I think it’s more like a game than ‘humanize’, and it’s a fun learning tool. I feel that it is a bit commercial after using it. However, the rewards for signing in and continuous learning are motivating for me, and have a sense of game-playing. Also, it is a good feature to organize and review my past mistakes. However, I don’t want to rely entirely on this app to learn the language. For me, the textbook, classes, communication, or more traditional methods of organizing knowledge may be more effective in learning a new language. After all, language is used for everyday life and to communicate with people, and there are many things that AI cannot replace or help us to learn. I prefer to use Duolingo as a supplementary learning tool to practice very basic knowledge.