The topic of my pod is- How to succeed at university. So I found this video called “How I Learn And Remember Things Easily – The Effort Rule” on Youtube, which has 3,065,677 views, and it caught my attention.
In the video, there are some ways on how to enhance the memory of the knowledge. Since we usually need to read plenty of textbook content, at least one textbook is required for an individual course, and there are many other articles and videos. It is very difficult for us to remember all the key points and contents, and it is impossible for us to understand all the contents. Therefore, there is an activity in the video that I think is possible to test among students. The activity is mainly to divide the class into two groups, one group of students takes notes by typing, while the other group of students takes notes by hand. The results of the next test will be used as a comparison to get feedback to see if the typing students do better than the handwriting students. In the video, the conclusion was that the typing students got better grades on average.
Based on the above conclusion, the authors suggest a note-taking method, carrying a small notebook with you to write down key points at any time. The technology we can use is e-reading websites or software to listen to what we need to learn at all times. During the listening, you can be in the gym, running, and so on. When there is some ‘ha moment’, which is when you hear something that you are really interested in or think is essential to remember. Then we can take out our notebooks to write down and focus on learning this part. This way we can save a lot of time and a boring learning process. This method can also be used as an activity to let each student experiment and compare their own learning efficiency.
These activities are not a large amount of work for me, and are both manageable and worthwhile. The video also mentions a website called ‘audible’ where you can find a variety of powerful lessons and e-books to listen to. Although this may be an advertisement, if it is really effective, it will help a lot of students. As I mentioned, the website mentioned in the video may be an advertisement, which would reduce its credibility. To solve this potential problem, I would test the usefulness of this website to make sure that it can really search for useful courses and books to improve students’ learning efficiency and use the learning methods mentioned in the video.