When I was in elementary school, my parents thought I should learn an instrument. At that time, I thought the guitar was a great instrument to play, and seeing many singers playing and singing by themselves on stage aroused my interest greatly. Since I didn’t know much about the guitar at that time, my parents looked for an awesome teacher of classical guitar. However, after taking lessons for a while, I found that I was not very interested in classical music, but my parents thought I could not give up easily. Thus, I turned from being excited at the beginning to being annoyed. The regular and boring daily practice made me feel disgusted with the guitar. Then I practiced guitar for almost four years, and after I finished my professional-grade certificate, I ended my guitar journey with the excuse of school.

Until last year, I found out that there was a guitar course in the electives, which once again caught my attention. I decided to choose the folk guitar that I was interested in. This time there was no pressure from my parents, and based on my previous experience, there wasn’t the same kind of oppression I felt as a child. There will be assignments and some exercises, but I enjoyed the learning process. I could play the tunes I liked and the class was not solely for the credits, but to accomplish my goal of learning. I think I fit well with the constructivist theory in this process and found a learning method that works for me based on my own experience in a different learning environment.