I am interested in the article ‘The Principles of Multimedia Learning’ on Robert Mayer’s suggestions and theories about multimedia learning objects. Presentations are an essential mode of teaching and learning in our future work and our studies. Although PowerPoint looks simple and helps us to teach better, the process of making it requires a lot of skills and rational design. At least for me, creating multimedia teaching is a very challenging task.
Before I read this article, I had three requirements for myself in creating PowerPoint: no excessive text and being organized, no reading to the script during the presentation, and pictures or other media must be shown. However, I often can’t make an effective PowerPoint.
I have learned a lot after reading this article. I hadn’t thought about understanding the cognitive theory of multimedia from a psychological point of view. The human cognitive range and storage capacity are limited, and overloading the content will burden the viewer and make it indigestible. One sentence in the article that impressed me the most: “People learn better when extraneous material is excluded rather than included.”(Davis and Norman, 2016 ) I usually insist on adding some elements to make my PowerPoint look more interesting, however, the more complex and extraneous things only bring negative effects and interfere with the learners.

Here is a video I found on YouTube about the interpretation of Robert Mayer’s Principles of Multimedia Learning, which is more detailed and provides many examples for us to better understand and apply these theories.

Reference:

Davis, G., & Norman, M. (2016, July 19). Principles of Multimedia Learning – Center for teaching and learning: Wiley education services. Center for Teaching and Learning | Wiley Education Services. Retrieved September 18, 2022, from https://ctl.wiley.com/principles-of-multimedia-learning/

Devlin Peck. (2021). YouTube. Retrieved September 18, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9WpfWriY7A.